Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Myth: I'm Cured!



As someone who has walked the road of infertility and come out on the other side, I now face a different set of myths regarding my infertility. Namely... now that I have achieved the dream, now that I have a child and another on the way, I must be cured, right?

Wrong.

I am still infertile. My journey has a happy ending, yes. And I am eternally thankful and grateful that it does. But my babies don't negate the fact that I am an infertile woman living in a very fertile world.

When I look at my son, when I rub my pregnant belly, I am humbled. I remember the journey that brought me here. The doctors, the medications, the tears, the prayers. I remember the all-too-familiar happy for them but sad for me feeling that accompanied pregnancy announcements. I remember the way I would hate my body for betraying me by having this disease. I remember how I felt like less of a woman, because I couldn't seem to reproduce.

I remember it all.

And it's still a part of me.

Infertility has shaped me. It's changed me. It's brought me to the point of understanding and empathy that someone who hasn't gone through it can never fully reach. It's a part of who I am now, a part of the unique story that God is writing in my life. It's not something that magically disappeared when I first saw that miraculous plus sign on a home pregnancy test.

Infertility is not something that you are cured of. I am still one of the many faces of infertility... even with my babies in my arms. Infertility is a gift that God has given me... though not one I always understand or appreciate. But it has formed me into who I am today.

And I thank God for it.

Find out more about infertility here.
Find out more about National Infertility Awareness Week here.

4 comments:

Krissi said...

I feel the same way now that I am a mom of my 3 miracles after 6 IVF cycles. I rememeber too. This was so well written!
I would love to feature your IF success story on my blog (that I now write to support others). Thanks so much in advance. Stop by my blog to get the info!

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful! :)

Carissa said...

awesome post! Carissa

Rachel said...

Visiting from Heather's. Thanks for writing this... it is completely true. And now, I feel guilty sometimes for having had this miracle baby when others who I love still haven't.

But I'm thankful for what God has done in my life in teaching me to depend on Him.