Sunday, June 20, 2010

On Father's Day


There are three very special men in this picture that mean a lot to me. And on this Father's Day, I thought I'd share just a few reasons why.

First of all, there's my dad. He's the dark guy with the salt n pepper hair on the right. Growing up, Dad went above and beyond the call of duty. He did most of the cooking, all of the grilling, the laundry, and since he was a teacher, he entertained us all summer long. I remember one summer he had torn his Achilles tendon, and he was in a full leg cast... a heavy, hot thing that he could not get wet. And yet, he would still drive my brother and I to the pool almost every day that summer, and sit out in the sun, unable to swim, while we enjoyed ourselves. When I was on swim team, he was the one who would wake up at 4:30 every morning to take his turn in the car pool, getting me and my friends to practice by 5:00 am. Dad didn't always understand or enjoy the things I was involved with (choir, drama)... but he always supported and encouraged me. He is generous and takes such good care of his family. Thank you, Dad, for loving me. And thank you for being such a wonderful Papa to my son!

Then, there is my father-in-law, James. He's the dapper-looking fellow on the left. From the moment I met James, I have always felt like a cherished member of his family. He goes out of his way to take care of those he loves, and I know that his home is always open to me. He did a wonderful job raising his sons, one of which I have the joy of being married to! He is a treasure trove of wisdom and wise council, and yet he encourages and equips his sons to rise up and lead their families as men of God. Thank you, James, for loving me. And thank you for being such a wonderful Grandpa to my son!

And finally, the handsome one in the middle, my husband, Steve. We have been married for almost 12 years, and have known each other for 14. I could go on and on about how amazing Steve is and what he means to me, but since it's Father's Day I will focus on that one aspect. Steve is such an amazing father! We both knew we wanted children, but we also knew due to my health issues that we might not be able to have biological children. We will always be so thankful that God blessed us with the desire of our hearts, our son. Steve takes his responsibility as a father seriously. He delights in Nathan, enjoys him, instructs him, disciplines him, and trains him up in the way he should go. As my son grows into a man, there is no better model of godly manhood that he could emulate than his Daddy. Steve, thank you for loving me, yes. But today I thank you all the more for being such a wonderful father to our son.

I am so very blessed.

No comments: