Wednesday, October 28, 2009

When strangers become angels...

Just another day in the life of me. It's never boring, I'll say that!

So last night Steve went to the Missouri Baptist Convention annual meeting, and Nathan and I decided to use our night without dad to do some birthday shopping for Steve. We headed to St. Joseph, which is about 30 minutes away. We got to the store, looked around, selected a gift, and took it up to pay... and then I realized that my wallet was not in my purse! As soon as I noticed it was missing, I knew exactly what had happened and where it was - on my counter at home! I felt so silly but I told the cashier that we would not be able to purchase it and we got in the van to head home.

It was then that I realized that I was almost out of gas. The gauge was in the feared red zone, and the annoying little light that likes to remind you to get gas was lit up. I did not have near enough gas to get home... and I had no wallet. No credit card. No cash. No nothing. I did have my cell phone with me. (thank You, Jesus!) However, I have a Go-Phone and I literally had about $2.00 left on it. So I called Steve (cause I can call him for free!). And called. And called.
And called. Of course he had his phone off - he was in a meeting! So finally I texted him and wrote: "Call Grace cell NOW!" Poor Steve. I think I may have given him a mild heart attack when he read that text AND noticed that I had called 18 times in less than 5 minutes.


He ended up calling some dear friends of ours in our town to see if they would be willing to drive up and rescue me. They happened to know someone in St. Joe who they called and who graciously agreed to drive to McDonald's and bail out a stranger. I thought the entire McDonald's crew was going to burst into applause when the kind tennis coach gave the crying woman and her very patient son $20 for gas. I had to hug the guy. Seriously, I was just so thankful.

So thanks to Steve, Lila, and Lanny for helping organize our rescue. Thanks to Nathan for being patient during our adventure. Thanks to God who bends His ear to hear our cries and provide for our needs. And thank you, Tom, my stranger angel. May you be blessed, as you have blessed me.

3 comments:

KatieKate said...

What a great GREAT story!!! Glad you are ok!

Anonymous said...

Grace, you are such a wonderful writer. Pursue your dreams. Much love always, Aunt Becki

Lanny said...

I am very fortunate to have friends that, at the drop of a hat will sacrifice themselves to help others. What a true example of a living sacrifice Tom is as he is willing to help a complete stranger. May God richly bless him for this act of kindness!